Sunday, February 28, 2010

Why do people feel such a need to pressure others to cut their long hair?

I get that some people prefer shorter hair or medium length over long or very long, that's their opinion. But why do people feel such a need to pressure others on what they do with their own appearance like long hair is some awful thing or someone is selfish to have it? It's their hair and their choice. If they want to donate it, that's great for them, but they shouldn't have to just like I shouldn't donate all my makeup just because I own it and others don't.





So why do you think they do it?Why do people feel such a need to pressure others to cut their long hair?
Great Question. If I was ever in that position I would first start by thanking them for their suggestion and say that I am happy with my hair so I rather not cut it. If they continue to insist I would stand firmer ground and say again that I appreciate their opinion but NO, I am not cutting my hair. If there is a 3rd time I would tell them that you are not changing your mind and if they continue to insist you will either ignore the question or leave.





Don't let anyone pressure you.. you have every right to do what you want with your body.


Now as always, every situation is different. If they are suggesting to cut your hair because you will benefit from it.. them heard them out. BUT bear in mind.. it's all about what you want and feel comfortable with .Why do people feel such a need to pressure others to cut their long hair?
I think that some people may be jealous of other people's long hair, and might just pressure them to donate to locks of love or something so they just cut it. I think it should be that person's choice whether they cut their hair or not, and I think that they shouldn't be pressured to cut their hair at all. I really loved my long hair, but it got too problematic, and kept knotting and I kept getting split ends, so I had to cut it. =(





Can anyone help me with this question?


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>





~MyClockworkHeart
I know exactly what you're talking about.. I used to have hair that was to my butt..


And EVERYONE was like, you really should cut your hair.


And I'm like, Ok, For one: why are you so concerned with my hair?


And for two: Do you know how long it took me to get my hair this long? lol.


But, I also go soo many compliments on how long and beautiful my hair was.


So, I don't know what some peoples problems are. lol.
I feel the same way u do. I believe that there just jealous. Oh well some people are just like that. U shouldnt give into peer pressure.
They're jealous they can't have your long, glorious hair. Just remember this line:





';Haters make me famous!';
First off I'm a hairstylist and salon owner. Hair is as much about emotion as it is about looks(sometimes more). It's how we feel with the hair more than how we look sometimes. To be honest my sister Twyla is over weight over 50 and has stringy long horrible looking hair, but she feels feminine with it. There are deeper issues at work here.





It really is an emotional thing, regardless to how horrible it looks. It's all about Twyla. It could be Vidal Sassoon himself telling her she needs to cut her hair and It wouldn't matter. It's crazy but as a stylist I get a new client that states, ';well, Robert I want a change';...them, I start to mention cutting, but then she cuts me off and says, ';oh, but I don't want you to cut much off my hair'; Well, there goes change OUT THE WINDOW. Hair color? You may ask. Well, if something like changing the cuts a problem then most times color would be completely out of the question.





It's a point of frustration for a professional and a client, but it's also a human thing. Some people have a hard time with change and can't handle it although in a way they desire it and know they may need it, but just can't get themselves to through with it. Life is about change but for many of these people (some do end up in the nut house) change doesn't happen due to some underlying dysfunction getting in the way.





I get some clients that say,';Well, Robert it has taken me so long to grow it out.'; Uh, okay! You let it grow out into what? NO STYLE? It's like some kind of burden she carries and for what? To look unattractive?





I'm a straight male hairstylist in Newport Beach Ca. Why would I do something to cause an uncomplimentary look on a client? It's my reputation and livelihood we are talking about here as well. I generally like long hair on women as a preference hey I'm a guy, but not if it's unattractive.


Older and over weight women just don't look good with long hair. It's not just a rule it's fact.





Sometimes it's cultural. Like Native Americans, some hispanic, indian and asian. Or sometimes it's just misinformation from over weight women that think for some reason it's slimming to have long straight hair running down their backs. Uh NO, it actually exposes the fat more by way of contrast! IT is though as being youthful for the older women out there. Uh NO, not if you are like over 50. Youthful yes, for perhaps those that are youthful!





I'm not trying to be mean just realistic.
There's nothing quite so depressing as hearing someone who once had beautiful long hair, but cut if short one day, and then goes on to say, with their short hair, how much they love long hair and miss it so much. Yet they will never grow it long again.





The pressure to donate is a form of moral blackmail where you are made to feel a bad person and will go to hell if you do not cut off your hair and hand it over. Locks of Love is a business which gets cheap hair to sell on. Most of it goes to celebrities and clubbers who do not have the patience ever to grow their own hair. Even the kids with cancer have to pay for it, unless they jump through endless hoops only a handful can.





Hair stylists also hate long, unspoilt hair - they call it boring or stringy or without style. By definition you do not get hair that way by going to the salon every few weeks. Their training is always to ';frame the face'; and do not understand anything longer than that. Their perfect haircut is something like scene, which looks rotten three days after it is done, so there is repeat business over and over. They say - go for choppy layers and side bangs and endless straightening or curling, and colouring and bleaching: the hair will be fried and split and will need redoing professionally week-in week-out. They say it is good to change change change, since with every change comes more business and more opportunity to create a mess that has to be put right professionally, or changed again.





The last thing are other women, especially those who have chosen to make themselves ugly. They cannot bear others to be more lovely than them, so they persuade them to go ugly too. Then they feel good about themselves. They want to get rid of every beautiful girl who might be unfair competition, and then hate men who choose to remain alone, rather than settle for one of these ugly sisters.





One good thing to come out of this are all those who have kept their beautiful long hair despite all the pressures. They are truly special and, in their rarity, my pleasure in knowing them is ever greater.





The other day, I encountered a woman aged 47 with long unspoilt hair like a curtain. She was beautiful and serene and I struggled believing she was over 30. To be over 50 with long hair is to be a timeless wonder where age no longer matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment