Sunday, February 28, 2010

How can i train my cat stop sucking on my long hair at night?

Also she wants to play all the time which is great but not at 3 am, I dont want to lock her out of the room because she crys a lot she is only 2 months oldHow can i train my cat stop sucking on my long hair at night?
She's nursing. I mean, she knows there isn't any milk coming out, but she's going through the motions. How old was she when she was taken from her mother? A lot of cats that are taken too young (6 weeks or earlier) end up nursing on different things....sometimes for the rest of their lives.





As far as training her not to.... don't really know what you could do other than maybe spraying her with a bottle....but that obviously won't work if you're asleep.





You COULD try seeing if she'll ';nurse'; on something other than your hair. A friend of mine has a cat that nurses on a stuffed animal and a baby blanket. He has since he was a kitten. Maybe if she gets attached to something else, she'll leave your hair alone.How can i train my cat stop sucking on my long hair at night?
cat is not a smart animal.


Just slap its mouth or seal it with a tape
Keep your kitten out of your bed... GROSS! Do you really think they clean themselves directly after stepping out of the littler box? Think about what exactly is getting into your bed and hair!





My cat is never allowed into our bed! EVER! THe bedroom doors are always kept closed!





and as far as the sucking goes... my cat does that too. but he had the decency to do it to his own hind leg. I just learned myself that is is self comforting and they do it because it makes them calm and feel secure.





Thanks TKO! Gross huh?
Obviously.. the little kitty was taken from its mommy tooooooo soon. It will pass in time.. You could wear a shower cap in the meantime if you wanted to to help the transition of the kitty to stop sucking
Papeversomniferum is right!





Keep your cat out of your bed.
dip your hair in hot sauce.
I have this same problem. What I do is hide my hair under my pillow.
The kitten has what is called an ';oral compulsion';; it wants something in its mouth to give it a sense of comfort. (Sort of like when little kids suck their thumbs.) Cats do this when they have been removed from their mother too early in life.





Some cats grow out of their oral compulsions but some do not. If the cat can't suck on your hair, it may take to sucking on other items (like sweaters or towels). It depends on what's initiating the compulsion (i.e., how stressed your cat is and why it needs to soothe itself in such a way).





The shower cap idea was a good one, but you don't want to put anything peppery or otherwise ';stinging'; on your hair, because if your hair then got into your own mouth (or worse, your eyes), you'd be in misery.





If you're getting up every time the cat whines, that cat has got you well-trained. You need to stop letting it manipulate you with its crying, and take a leadership role. Leave the cat outside your bedroom at night. It may howl for a night, but will quickly learn that it cannot manipulate you that way, and it will stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment